State Wrestling

State+Wrestling

Zachary Mester, Editor

This past weekend, three Belmont/Platteville Wrestlers, Tristen Gilbertson, Will Schaefer, and Michael Douglas competed at the WIAA State Individual Wrestling Tournament at the Kohl Center in Madison.  Tristen wrestled Thursday night.  Although he lost his match, he finished his season at 100 career wins.  His 100th win was at Sectionals the Saturday before.  Michael wrestled all the way to 5th place and Will finished at 2nd place!

On Friday, desks at school were empty, as many students spent the day cheering from the stands.  Those who didn’t go to Madison to cheer, gathered in the High School Commons to watch the live streams of Will and Micheal’s match’s.  However, Friday wasn’t the only day that our community showed up to cheer on our wrestlers.  Both Thursday and Saturday also came with a great turnout of fans.

Tristen Gilbertson stated, “It was great to see so many familiar faces in the crowd, and nice knowing the community came out to support us!”

Although wrestling is done for the season, Belmont’s winter sports aren’t over yet.  This weekend (March 4th-6th) the WIAA High School Gymnastics State Tournament is taking place in Wisconsin Rapids.  The Platteville/Belmont/Lancaster team is competing as a team there.  Good luck to our PBL Gymnastics Team!