Cans for Christmas = HUGE SUCCESS

Zachary Mester, Editor

On Tuesday, December 10th the High School Student Council and many other volunteers delivered canned goods and other necessary supplies to the Belmont Food Pantry, which is located at the Belmont United Methodist Church.  They also filled boxes for families who have expressed need through the school. In total, 2,552 pounds of food was packed and delivered.

This year, every class in the district competed to see who could not only bring in the most amount of goods, but also to see who could create the best designed display out of their goods.  Three classes were chosen as winners for their designs and one was chosen for the overall most amount of goods brought in.

Design Winners

• Pre-K-3rd Grade Winner- Pre-K Class
  • 4th-8th Grade Winner- 4th Grade Class
  • 9th-12th Grade Winner- 10th Grade Class

Most Goods Overall Winner

• 11th Grade Class

Over the past five drives, Belmont has donated at total of 9,409 pounds of goods to the food pantry and families in need (see the table below).  In the past, high school classes would compete to see which class could bring in the most weight. Last year, Student Council decided to incorporate the entire school into their collection drive.  Senior Student Council Member Taylar Simmons said, “Including the entire school has greatly increased the amount of cans that we can collect each year.  This means that we are able to provide more cans/supplies to our community.  We want to thank everyone that participated and helped make this year’s drive a success!”

Previous Year Results

• 15-16 School Year 1140 lbs.
  • 16-17 School Year 1800 lbs.
  • 17-18 School Year 1550 lbs.
  • 18-19 School Year 2367 lbs.
  • 19-20 School Year 2552 lbs.